Housing benefit non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant is normally any adult who lives with you and is not your partner. In some cases we make a deduction from your housing benefit to represent the contribution the government expects them to make to your household. This is called a non-dependant deduction. Read our advice for non-dependants

The non-dependant deduction is taken from the maximum housing benefit before we work out how much help we can give you with the remaining amount.

Non-dependant deductions April 2017 to March 2018

The table below shows the housing benefit non-dependant deduction amounts for April 2017 to March 2018.

Non-dependant incomeDeduction per week £
Aged under 25 and on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Universal Credit (without earnings) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance which does not include an amount for the support component or work related activity component Nil
Aged 25 or over and on Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based), Universal Credit (without earnings) or aged 18 or over and not working or working less than 16 hours each week 14.80
In receipt of main phase Employment and Support Allowance (income-related) 14.80
In receipt of Pension Credit Nil
Aged 18 or over and working an average of 16 hours each week or on Universal Credit with earnings (the income from Universal Credit and earnings will be combined):
- gross income less than £136.00 14.80
- gross income between £136.00 and £199.99 34.00
- gross income between £200.00 and £258.99 46.65
- gross income between £259.00 and £345.99 76.35
- gross income between £346.00 and £429.99 86.95
- gross income £430.00 or more 95.45

You may also like